Sunday, 25 January 2015

Three More Tags

I couldn’t wait to start my 12 tags of 2015 so I actually made my January 2015 tag a couple of weeks ago but only got round to posting it yesterday. Once made, I was on a roll and wanted to make more.  

I’m a fan of Helen Allen (if you’ve not seen her blog yet, you’re in for a real treat. Take a look:  Watching her create has taught me that apart from the techniques Tim uses on his tags, the real challenge is creatively using what you have in your stash to interpret Tim’s tag of the month.  I joke that I’m a collector not a crafter, as I love buying and hoarding craft bits and bobs rather than using them. So physically using them is going to be my personal challenge  playing along with the 12 tags of 2015!

Anyway,  I decided to have a go at a couple of Helen’s tags whilst I wait (impatiently) for February’s tag of 2105.  The way Helen interpreted Tim’s January 2014 tag fascinated me, as did the pocket for the time pieces.  Here’s my version…….

I'd not embossed metal foil before so I was keen to give it ago. Looking at the finished tag now I think I could have sanded the distress paint off my foil a little more, but overall I liked the technique and can't wait to try it out with black soot distress paint for an industrial look.

For the wings I hand drew the shape I wanted on some patterned paper and glued it behind my time pieces. One of these was on of the Ranger idea-ology clock faces, the other I think is Prima. 

I also used metal decorative corners (one at the top of the tag and another on the bottom right-hand corner of the pocket) which received the same treatment as the tie pieces; painted with distress paint then wiped back/off with a moist baby wipe.

A few inked Ranger Chitchat stickers, organza ribbon and twisted cord finished off my tag.

Next was Helen’s version of Tim’s December 2014 tag.  I found I had basically everything I needed including the gorgeous Stampers Anonymous Blueprint Snowman stamp, which I absolutely adore. He’s just so chipper and  cries out to be dimensionalised and glittered. 

I sanded and embossed acetate packing to get the frosted layer over the painted tag, which I then stitched in place. 

My red lettering across the base of the tag was some decorative self adhesive letters that I’d never used because they were so bright and gaudy. So out came the emery boards  (I use these to sand my projects as they’re quick, cheap and easy to use)  and took off top surface, then  used red distress stain and glitter to get the finish I needed.  

Following Helen’s lead I backed my tag with black card stock (I like the neat clean finish it gives) and then used a deep, rich, red seam binding which was calling out from my stash for this project and secured it through the knot with a SU decorative brad.  

 I really loved making this tag and this chipper little fellow is bound to be out again on another tag before long.

My final tag is a version of Tammy Tetterow’s (again another blog you should visit if you don’t already….gorgeous art and brimmed full of helpful tips and hints:

I’m not a great fan of butterfly images but put a feather on something and it calls to me.  This tag was no exception. 

I had a small piece of embossed and inked card left over from another project, so I decided to use it for this tag and built my colours around it (Iced spruce, faded jeans and picket fence).  I used my SU French Script background stamp in archival potting soil on top of the inked background of the tag and a pumice stone distress ink pad to edge the tag.  The philosophy band was swiped with picket fence before being threaded through my dyed seam binding.  

My feather was hand drawn (I don’t have a feather stamp surprisingly enough) and inked over with various paints and distress inks until I got the colour that complimented my tag and ribbon. To strengthen the quill I used a coating of glossy accents.  

One final touch was the pen nib…this was an old calligraphy nib that I sacrificed for my project.  I managed to punch a small hole for the jump ring with my pokey tool and then loop it through my ribbon before tying the bow.  A glue dot holds it in place along the top of the philosophy band.    A final backing with black card stock, et Voila!

Thank you so much for stopping by and if you fancy leaving a comment please do, I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment