Translate

Saturday 24 January 2015

Happy New Year & a new challenge.

I've watched the infamous Tim (aka Tim Holtz) create his annual tags but never had a go at making one myself, let alone posting one. I've always just settled in with a cuppa and enjoyed watching the master at work and marvelled at the techniques.

But this year is different.... I decided that I'd have ago at making tags and what better way then to take part in Tim's 12 tags of 2015. So here is my first ever tag and my interpretation of Tim's January 2015 tag.





I have to say that I had an absolute ball making my tag.... it took me ages but I enjoyed every minute and I'm pleased with the end result.... definitely trying to embrace imperfection, as they say! So here are a couple of pictures of the process.

I cut a couple of size 8 tags out of watercolour card stock that I had in my stash and covered them in tissue paper. I decided to road test how ordinary tissue paper would stand up against Ranger tissue paper, hence the two tags in the picture.


Here are the two tags covered in matt medium, with tissue paper scrunched on them just before the edges were trimmed.






Then I went in with my Distress Paints ........






and  Distress Stains. Drying and spritzing to my hearts content along the way.





I cut a small circle out of the same watercolour card stock I used for my tag, cut a smaller circle out of the centre to make it into a reinforcement washer for my homemade tag.  Before glueing it on to the tag, I coloured it with Distress Stains and also stamped it the same stamp I'd used on my tag......





And this is the Stampers Anonymous stamp..........





Next I broke out the Treasure Gold and Champagne Mist All-Purpose Ink to add a little glimmer and depth to my tag. With a smudge of Treasure Gold on my finger I gently rubbed all over the surface of the tag. The effect of the Treasure Gold highlighting the creases in the tissue was gorgeous. I loved it so much I also used it to edge the tag and my small reinforcement washer.




With the tag almost completed it was on with the embellishments.  As I didn't have an Alpha Parts I resorted to cardboard numbers and letters from my stash.  Oh, and a metal clock embellishment to stand in for my nought.  

First I sanded the letters and numbers gently, then daubed them with Distress Stain until I got the colour and depth that I wanted. After that I added a couple of layers of clear embossing followed by another smudge or two of the Treasured Gold until I got the look I needed to compliment my tag.





It nearly took me as long to choose which Idea-ology Chitchat stickers to use as it did to make the tag itself! But I followed Tim's lead and coated my tag with glue n seal before outlining the stickers with black soot distress marker to create a neat shadow effect...cool.


I added white splatters and colourised my ribbon to add the finishing touches to my tag. I wasn't too happy with the colour my ribbon ended up after all my efforts and may have to revisit this...... Nothing to do with not embracing imperfection, you understand, just to perfect my technique...honest! 

Following Helen Allen's lead I backed my tag with black card, adhered a copy of Tim's January tag to the back and created a small charm of the 12 Tags of 2015 logo to add to the front...thank you of the idea Helen.  





And thank you too Tim for being my inspiration and motivator......... I had no idea that creating was so much more fun than just watching. I'm champing at the bit for next months tag now.

Bye for now and happy crafting.




















No comments:

Post a Comment