Translate

Friday 12 October 2018

Pretty in Pink - Journal Page

Hello, hello, hello......

How are you today?  Bit nippy out but the hint of sunshine is keeping me happy. Another ALAD/ASAW challenge piece/ journal page from me today, week 37 of France's challenge. 

I'll apologise now if you're feeling a little unsettled at the jumping around and current lack chronological order for my posts on this challenge but bare with me please (smile).

The theme for week 37 was Pretty in Pink and I had great plans to incorporate a piece of inked vellum into the middle of my page, almost like a stained glass window type effect. But it didn't happen quite as planned and I ended up layering my coloured vellum onto the  page...... you'll see what I mean as I go through the making process.  First here is my finished page for you to have a look at......



See what I mean about the layered vellum. Originally the plan was for the vellum to be much lighter because of the light behind it. Hey ho, not meant to be (smile)



If you'd like to know the step by step creative process, here goes. 

The first step was to cover my journal page with clear gesso and then to add colour using the wrinkle-free technique i.e dipping my page into Distress Paint (Picked Raspberry, Spun Sugar) and Adirondack metallic acrylic paint (pearl).



Using Picked Raspberry DP through France Papillon's crackled stencil I added a little more interest to the background, especially around the edges where the darker colour acted as a frame for the page.



The Picked Raspberry was a little too vibrant for what I wanted, so I softened it down by adding Spun Sugar and the metallic pearl here and there with my finger. This also added a very fine texture and delicate shimmer to the page.




Now for my piece of vellum. This was coloured with Distress Stain (Victorian Velvet and Seedless Preserves), then spritzed with  Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Distress Mist (clover) and splattered with the metallic pearl.



As you know I can't resist stitchery on my pages, so I machine stitched the vellum to the background with wavy stitches. Stitching was also added around the outside of the page too. A couple of lines in fact and I now call this 'messy' stitching i.e where I make no attempt to stitch in a straight line  or, if using two or more rows of stitching, to keep them together. I go where I please and let the machine do it's thuuuung.  Although I used white thread I decided to colour the stitching holding the vellum and used SU watercolour pencils for this.

To apply more texture to the page I added a strip of DecoArt Modelling Paste through Fance Papillon's crackled stencil and few more metallic pearl splashes.



For more interest on the background I added a little random script stamping in SU Soft Suede and some drippage through the texture paste using the Seedless Preserves again.


Now for a focal image; I coloured a butterfly image, fussy cut it and then applied a coat of Ranger Matt Medium to both seal and stiffen it. It was layered on to a piece of hand-torn gauze and a few of the gauze threads which I dyed using left over Seedless Preserves ink on my craft sheet.



The top RHC of my page seemed bare and needed a little something. I layered up a little piece of gauze and vintage book page, then added a remnant rub on the top. This was stuck in place with double sided tape. The vintage book page, being aged to a soft beige colour, picked up the same tone in the butterfly and the SU Soft Suede ink I used to stamp the script on the page.




The final touch was to add some circles and lines using white and black gesso. Simple bottle tops and an old credit card did the job here. Unfortunately I managed to smudge a circle right in the centre of my page and couldn't for the life of me think how to cover this up without it looking obvious. So, as the mixed media guru himself  says 'embrace imperfection'.  I followed Tim's advice and left things be.

So that's my page for this week's challenge. Not quite what I intended when I sat down but it will do. Some you like and some you don't.... the jury is still out on this page. Either way, I enjoyed myself and they say it's the journey not the destination (smile).




Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a wonderful day and happy crafting.

Carol. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment