Translate

Sunday 1 July 2018

Procrastination Journal Page

Hi everyone,

today I'd like to share a journal page I made last week for France Papillon's ALAD/ASAW Challenge.  If you've not heard of it, then pop along to her blog (Here's the link)  and take a look. The challenge has been running for 27 weeks now but you can join anytime.... it really is great fun and there is some amazing artwork being posted on the challenge Facebook page each week.

We're half way through the year and the challenge theme for last week (week 26) was intention setting i.e how do we want to spend the rest of the year. For me, the intention is not to procrastinate or at least to try.  That was the theme for my spread, so here it is.......


Why a door?  Well, the door opens and my sentiment is tucked away behind....  my door is firmly closed on procrastination! (Well, I'm working on it).

A quick process run through:  To start with I used 300 gsm Daler Rowney cold pressed watercolour paper cut to 13.5 x 19.5cm so that the finished page would fit in my art journal. I also cut another piece to use as scrap.

Using Windsor & Newton Cotman watercolour paint (paynes grey) spritzed with water, I created some colour by letting it flow down the page.  I did the same on the piece of scrape watercolour paper but, when this was dry, I added plenty of splatters using the same colour paint.  

The picture below shows what the two pieces looked like side by side. The  journal page is on the LHS, the scrap piece on the RHS.


Using the scrap piece and the Sizzix Mixed Media Thinlets die (#3, wall die) I cut bricks and edged them using a Faber Castle Pitt Artist Big Brush Pen (cold grey) to get rid of the white edge. 


 I also hand drew a door and an arch onto another piece of scrap card. I wanted these for the focal image on my journal page.  Some of the bricks were glued around the arch and then the whole thing edged with a little Distress Ink (hickory smoke).




The door was firstly backed with Ranger tissue paper to add a bit of interest and then the wooden planks defined by scoring them gently on a scoreboard. Both sides were painted with a mix of  Stamping Up Watercolour Wonder Crayons (brights collection - yellows),  SU Watercolour Pencils (browns) & the paynes grey I used for the background. When I was happy with the look and the paint was dry I coated both sides, Ranger Crackle Paint (rock candy) on the woodwork and Glossy Accents on the metalwork.

My door closure was a Ranger Ring Fastener which hid a tiny magnet to help keep the door in place.

I glued the door inside the arch and then secured both in place where I wanted them on the page. Once this was done, I added a few bricks around the outside of the arch to make it look more authentic and also at the top RH and bottom LH corners of the page.

To create some shadow I used a Derwent Charcoal pencil and a stubby blender  and went round each individual brick and also the arch, inside and out. 



Next I added random touches of silver, to the bricks and arch, with Pebeo Mirror Effect Leaves (silver) and also some Prima Mini Art Stones for texture.  I dyed the stones first though, using the same tones of yellow and paynes grey  as on the rest of the spread.


Now inside the door needed attention. I applied Ferro Texture Paste (graphite) through a Crafters Workshop 6x6 stencil (mini tile texture) to mimic the outside brickwork. Then ran a little drippage with the same yellow tone watercolour crayons and mopped up the spare colour from my craft sheet with a piece of gauze. I used this to layer my sentiment which was computer generated onto a piece of white card and then edged with Distress Ink (hickory smoke). Both were secured in place behind the door with double sided tape.


To frame the page I edged with Distress Ink (first hickory smoke & then black soot).

As always, I backed my page with black card and added a tiny date tag to the top RH corner together with another tag to remind me it was a ALAD/ASAW challenge piece.

Edging the tiny bricks and fixing them in place was very fiddly but it appealed to the OCD in me, as I actually found it very satisfying building these little walls and the arch.  The colours, especially paynes grey, is definitely my 'thing' and I'm finally getting to grips with using mini art stones. When I first tried, I ended up with more scattered around my craft room than on the page! Now I'm a dab hand at pretending they're grains of salt and sprinkling them with gay abandon.

A couple or three more pictures before I head off:

My closed door on procrastination



A wee peep behind the door



Finally a close up of the crackle texture on the door and
Glossy Accents on the metal work.

Thanks so much for reading my post and see you again in a couple of days with my week 27 challenge piece.

Happy crafting,

Carol, xx

No comments:

Post a Comment