Translate

Wednesday 2 May 2018

Wanderlust - Journal Page

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to share with you another journal page I made this week using one of the removed blank pages from my Moleskin art journal. 





As I have a new AALL & CREATE stencil (#8) I wanted to play with that and decided on a travel theme with it being a compass. 


To start off I tore up the vintage world map out of Tim Holtzs' Correspondence 12x12 paper pad and glued it randomly onto my page with Ranger Multi Medium (Matt).  


Once dry, I gave the whole page a light wash of Ranger White Gesso to blend everything into the background......


Using Golden Fluid Acrylic paint (Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold) I started to built up the colour on the page until I was happy with the look. I should really say unhappy with the look as my vintage map all but disappeared in the process!


I mixed PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic paint (Bora Bora)  into grunge paste to create a coloured texture paste and created my focal image using the AALL & CREATE stencil. ... and even that didn't come out right.  It seems that some days you just can't win.



Once the paste was dry, and using the same stencil with Archival ink (Potting Soil), I randomly touched various places with the ink to soften it (and disguise the smudging).The page was also edged with the same coloured ink.


Next out came a Crafters Workshop stencil (Mini dashed lines) and Ranger Distress Ink (Vintage Photo) to build up more interest on the background. 

By this time I was in serious rescue mode. I was completely unhappy with the page but nevertheless determined to keep going... embracing imperfection and all that!


Using self adhesive resin letters from my stash I added in the compass points....


and Ranger Idea-ology (Time Pieces, Game Spinners) to create a  focal point in the centre of the compass.


After backing the page with black card and creating a tiny date tag the page was done.

Definitely not my most favourite of pages, but I am pleased I soldiered on rather than consigning it to the bin half way through, as the end result was better than it promised it to be. However I was disappointed that I'd managed to completely cover up the initial layer of map paper rather than have it tantalisingly peeking through giving promise of distant lands (note to shelf, be a little less generous with the paint next time!). 

Also my stencilled image wasn't crisp enough.  My grunge paste was a little dry so I added water to soften it up. This usually works well, provided I don’t add too much that is. Unfortunately that’s exactly what I did which consequently made applying it through the stencil a little tricky (another note to self, less is more!)..... but it’s all a learning curve and I’ll know for next time.

Thanks so much for stopping by (and listening to the trials and tribulation of a crafter).  Happy crafting.



Carol. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment