Translate

Thursday 17 May 2018

Book Insert for a Junk Journal

Hi everyone,

don't know about your part of the world but here in the UK it's a glorious Spring morning. Outside my window it's wall to wall sunshine, the garden's vibrant and the birds are in full song. It lifts the soul.....

I promised I would post details of the final project I made yesterday and here it is........

The focal image is a calligraphy piece 'borrowed' from the internet.
Printed onto coffee dyed and inked copier paper.

It's a little hand stitched,  10.5 x 7 cm booklet that I made as an insert for one of my junk journals. Be warned there are a lot of photographs in this post, so can I suggest a cup of your favourite brew whilst you work your way through the post. Personally I love lots of pictures but if that's not your thing you might want to give this post a miss.... hope you won't though.

Ok, It's made throughout using coffee (obviously my brew of choice) dyed copier paper and the cover is watercolour paper that I stained and oven dried. It came out like a piece of fine suede and was so gorgeous I decided to use it for the front cover. It is also strong too, being a heavier gsm than the copier paper.  The booklet has just the one signature, which I hand stitched to the cover using the three hole pamphlet stitch and crotchet thread. All the edges are inked with Distress Ink (vintage photo.... my 'go to ink' for journals).


This is the inside... as you can see book print from my well worn and much loved Brideshead Revisited book and another calligraphy quote. This time from Albert Einstein, "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts".  It's a tip-in flap, held in place with washi tape....



and underneath, a wee moth from Stampers Anonymous stamp set (Entomology) in vintage photo DI.



The next page has a fixed tag on the LHS and a journaling spot on the RHS with a small vellum pocket. The bee image is from another Stampers Anonymous stamps (tiny things). I love this little bee. We have a lot of bees in our garden; carpenter bees, miner bees and bumble bees to name a few and the sound of their buzz as they go about their busy day is wonderful on a Spring day like today.


The tags are made from 1905 indenture paper (some of the old title deeds to my house) with inked and stitched edges. They're decorated with a scrap of lace from my stash and tiny mother of pearl buttons, tied with a very fine hessian thread.  The images are from the Entomology and Tiny Things stamp sets.... I've used these throughout the booklet as they're ideal for smaller tags, pockets and booklets. 


Over the page. You'll recognise the image from my post yesterday. It's another image 'borrowed' from the Internet and resized. As you can see it's layered onto more dyed and inked copier paper. I've over stamped with a Stampotique stamp (602.862.0237) by France Papillon and added a tiny metal embellishment in the corner with a brad. The opposite page is a rough torn vellum page stamped with another moth and over stamped again with the Stampotique crazed stamp.


Over the page again is another book-page page, but this time I've used it to back a glassine bag to create a side pocket. The bug image is from the above Entomology stamp set. The lace edging the pocket is from my stash.... It's very fine and I really wish I could remember where I got it, as it's running low...groan!



This is the centre of the signature and you can see the side opening pocket on the LHS,  again edged on this side with more of that lovely lace trim. 

On the RHS there is a top pocket with a tiny tag, again made from the indenture paper,  and stitched, inked and stamped and trimmed with lace and a wee button.  My threads from the binding have been sealed with tiny hearts cut from the indenture paper... and yep, the ant is from the Entomology stamp set.


This is a quick look inside the tiny booklet that nestled in the LHS side pocket. Size wise it's 3.5 x 7cm and the cover is more of my lovely indenture paper (just love the script). Inside it's coffee dyed copier paper stamped with more bug and bee images and also the text stamp from the .... you've guessed it, the Entomology set. This little 6 page booklet is also hand stitched and the threads secured with tiny hearts again... I rather like doing this, if I leave the threads visible at the centre of my signatures.


This is over the page... very simple.  You have the reverse image on the vellum page on the LHS and on the RHS, some easy stamping  embellished with another tiny mother of pearl button. The address stamp is from an AALL & CREATE stamp set (#39)


The final pages: A journaling page on the LHS with one final tiny tag slotted into a vellum corner tuck spot.  On the RHS a book page full length tuck spot, stamped with the bee again.  Inside is another calligraphy tag.....


Here is a close up of the tag.... isn't the calligraphy gorgeous.  Again it's inked and stitched around the edges. The tag is backed with dyed copier paper.


This is the reverse of the tag showing the backing paper and stamping.  I love the random coffee staining which I did by spritzing coffee from a bottle rather than dunking the whole page. Definitely much quicker and less drying time in the oven. 

And this is the back cover......  stamped with numerals from the Stampers Anonymous (Ecetera) stamp set. As you can see a little bit of scorching from the rungs in my oven but I actually like it and think it adds a little character to the cover and using the vintage photo DI for my stamping blends in well.


Yea, you made it... I warned you that today's post was picture heavy  but I hope you liked it nevertheless.

As I mentioned  this is an insert for one of my ongoing junk journals.... I have several on the go, as I tend to hunt down bits and bobs for the inclusions, make tags as and when the mood takes me  and generally gather together my page layout ideas before I go into production. Actually in production at the moment is a Quercus (Oak) journal but in the planning stage I have a bee journal (no surprise there), an oriental journal, a bug journal and also a sewing journal... so plenty in the pipeline to keep my amused but on the down side I have no idea when I'll get these finished or round to posting about those....sorry.

Have a wonderful, wonderful day and happy crafting.

Carol. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment