Thursday, 21 May 2015

Discover Tag.

This is the second of the tags that I mentioned in my last post……

 All my tags are a basic 16cm x 8cm in size.  I tend to use watercolour card rather then Tim’s manilla tags. Why?  Just because I have a wealth of this card-stock in my stash. I like that it is much lighter in colour than the Ranger manilla tags.... but why this makes a difference to me is a tad mystifying as it gets 'altered' to within an inch of its life...... but mainly because  the watercolour card works well with the various media I like to use on my tags.

For this tag I layered the water colour tag with a piece of script paper from a First Edition 12 x 12 paper pad called The Promise, then blended Pumice Stone, Black Soot and Picket Fence Distress Ink for my background… leaving it fairly light so that the script still showed through. I also used the Black Soot to edge my tag.  

To add a little more detail to the background I used a Warm Grey Faber Castell Big Brush Pitt pen through a 6 x 6 Crafters Workshop  stencil called Mini Tie Dye.

The heart was  drawn free-hand on plain white card and then inked with a mix of SU Basic Grey Ink and Black Soot Distress Ink, until I got the look I wanted. I ripped the heart in two and inked the ripped edges in Black Soot too.  Finally, a healthy coat of Crackle Paint went over the top before it was set to one side to dry.

Whilst the heart dried I added the red drippage to the tag using Fired Brick and Barn Door Distress Ink coated with Crackle Paint and then when dry, edged it with Mat Medium and Faber Castell Big Brush Pitt Pens in Black and Cold Grey to try and get a little depth and shading. 

I also dipped three small blue safety pins (from my stash) in black Alcohol Ink.  One of those ‘happy accidents’ was that the blue coating beneath the alcohol ink bubbled and charred when I dried the safety pins with my heat gun, which added to the grungy look I wanted for the tag…. YEA !!!  

To help secure the safety pins in place on the two halves of the ripped heart, I pierced small holes in each side of the heart using a needle.  Doing this first made it so much easier to secure the safety pins in the right place without damaging the coating on the heart.

 The rose, again from my stash, was secured underneath the heart with double sided tape. A little Glossy Accents adhered the heart to the tag. Finally a few Remnant Rubs and some splatters with white and black Gesso completed the tag.

As always I backed the tag with black card to frame it and to keep the back neat and tidy (more than can be said for my craft room!)  and added a SU jumbo eyelet.

Please feel free to leave a comment as I’m always delighted to hear what you have to say……and I’ll be back with my third tag on this little gothic theme I have running soon.

Happy crafting,

Carol. x

No comments:

Post a Comment