Translate

Sunday 18 March 2018

Journal Page - Bug's Life

When I saw Tim Holtz's bug stamp (Stampers Anonymous Entomology CMS328) I went into lust mode and knew I had to have this set for my collection. So too when I saw the Visible Image How Fragile stamp set and you'll see quite a few repeats of these stamps, either combined or individually,  in my next few posts. I've had such fun playing with them.


Here is a 6x4 journal page I made using both stamp sets.


I started off colouring a piece of 300gsm cold press watercolour paper using a combination of PaperArtsy chalk acrylics (Tinned Peas, Bora Bora and Inky Pool) and adding texture using PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze to create the background.

To accentuate the cracks created by the crackle glaze even more I add a thick coat of Ranger Distress Crackle Paint (Clear Rock Candy) over the top, once it had completely dried.



Using a Misty Stamping Tool was a must to stamp the VI How Fragile stamp in Archival Ink (Potting Soil) on the background, because by now it was beautifully textured or should I say cratered!. It took four stamping repeats before there was enough of the image stamped onto the background.



I dyed and texturised a small piece of Mulberry Paper using a combination of Archival Ink (Potting Soil), Ranger Distress Inks (Ground Expresso, Rusty Hinge) and Emerald Creek Baked Texture embossing powders (Patina Oxide, Chunky Rust). 




Next I cut a small slit into the centre of the stamped image and teased through the Mulberry Paper. A couple of pieces of bark were arranged under the Mulberry Paper before everything was glued into place with Golden heavy matt gel.  I spotted the bark whilst on holiday recently and just couldn’t resist picking it up and squirrelling it away.... it has a beautiful deep, rich mahogany colour with wonderful undulating ridges running over it.... gorgeous.

To accentuate the fractures and pick up the colours on the Mulberry Paper I decided to use tiny seed beads from my stash, again using the matt gel to hold them in place.






From the Ranger Entomology stamp set I fixed on the beetle for my chosen bug. After stamping and fussy cutting it, I gave the bug a couple of coats of Ranger Matt Medium to strengthen it before colouring it with Ranger Distress Ink Markers (Squeezed Lemonade, Ripe Persimmon). Finally I added a couple of coats of Glossy Accents to add more strength and a more rounded dimension to the shell. 




As usual I backed my piece with black card to frame it and neaten the back.


I love how my beetle turned out sitting on his lair.... just one more picture, so hope you're not too squeamish.



Thanks for stopping by and letting me share my journal page.

Happy Crafting

Carol.xx

No comments:

Post a Comment