Translate

Thursday, 22 March 2018

Ex Libris - Tag


Hello,

today I want to share a tag that’s been rattling around in my head for awhile now. I finally made it earlier this week and have to say that I’m chuffed to little mint balls at how it turned out.... sometimes an idea in my head doesn’t actually pan out as I imagine it will when I actually get round to making it and see it in the ‘flesh’, but for once, this one did.





As usual I started with 300 gsm watercolour paper cut to the size of a Ranger #8 tag, which I spritzed with water and coloured with Windsor & Newton watercolour paint (indigo). 




Firstly with white acrylic paint and then with the indigo watercolour paint, I added a few tiny splashes to the background before edging it with Archival Ink (French Ultra Marine) and Distress Ink (Weathered Wood). I also added a row of machine stitching around the edge and, with a Sakura pin-point roller glue pen and DecoArt GlamourDust, added a hint of shimmer.




Here's a close up of the edge showing how subtle the shimmer was over the ink.....



Using more watercolour paper, I cut a pair of wings using the Sissix Feathered Wings Die (No.660990). 



Once these were assembled, I subtly tinted the wings using the indigo watercolour paint, before edging them with the DecoArt Glamour Dust. I am not a glitter kind of gal, so when I need subtle shimmer  on a project this is definitely my go-to glitter. It’s fine, delicate and, as mentioned in the name, it’s like dust. Definitely not glitzy and definitely the one for me.




Next I tore a strip of delicately printed vellum, inked the edges with both the Archival (French Ultra Marine) and Distress Inks (Weathered Wood) before gently rolling it into a scroll. I secured the end with a tiny glue dot before winding round some silver wire and gluing a tiny, red ceramic heart on top.  The heart is one of France Papillon’s signature hearts. She teaches how to make them at some of her workshops and I now have a wee stash of them. They are super cute.  I used both Glossy Accents and double sided tape to secure the vellum roll into place between the wings, which were similarly secured to the tag in the same way.





Here is a close up of France's ceramic heart sitting on top of the silver wire and you should just able to make out the script on the vellum.......





The Ex Libris label was computer generated onto a scrap of the watercolour paper and edged with the same Archival and Distress Inks, before being layered onto a torn and similarly inked piece of vellum. Two tiny white brads secure the label in place.





To finish my tag I dyed some white seam binding using Distress Ink (Weathered Wood), created a tiny date tag and backed the main tag in black card to frame it. I also decided that I needed a little something on the background so added a touch of random shadow- stamping using France's Stampotique crackle stamp in the Weathered Wood DI.



I'm pleased how the tiny heart gives a pop of colour to the overall subtle blue of the tag and how the GlamourDust adds a hint of magic to the wings. Hopefully the label and flourished script on the vellum scroll will hint at a secret message..... who knows.



I always enjoy any time I spend playing in my craft room but it was especially the case whilst I was making this tag. I hope you liked it, so thank you for letting me share it with you.

Happy crafting.....



Carol. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment