this week I had three cards to make and, as usual, very little time to make them. So it was a perfect opportunity to try a new die that I've recently treated myself to: Decorative Blossom Corner die by Heartfelt Creations. Primarily I bought this die to decorate the flaps of envelopes and boxes I make for my cards but after doing a browse on Utube this is definitely a die with endless possibilities.
Whilst browsing I saw two almost identical but very beautiful cards made by Christina Griffiths and Gloria Gross and fell in love with them... the design was perfect for what I needed.
Here is my take on the cards:
The first card was an anniversary card. I used my usual 'go to' card, 300grm pearlised ivory card for all three cards. As you'll tell from my earlier card posts I use this card all the time... I like how robust and strong it is plus it looks wonderful whether it's in white or ivory. The pearlescence is extremely subtle which makes the card look elegant rather than tacky.
|Here's a view from the side showing the front embossed cover.|
I used the corner die to cut two images in the card, then separated the corner die from the card on one. The cut corner die piece was then sprayed with adhesive and glittered. The remaining cut away card was dry embossed using a Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder, wrapped in wide ivory taffeta ribbon before being secured in place on the back and front of the base card with foam dimensional pads.
|Here's a view of the back cover. Both covers were cut smaller than the base card,|
effectively matting and layering them on top of the base card.
A few ivory self-adhesive half pearls were added to the corner die before adding an inner leaf for the sentiment. My main sentiment on the front of the card was computer generated text on a Sizzix Floral Oval die cut piece of ivory card.
|Very simple but I actually liked the clean lines without the front & back covers.|
The second card was a birthday card. I used the the same technique as above but without the additional back and front dry embossed covers. Ivory taffeta ribbon was replaced with wide purple taffeta and my Happy Birthday sentiment was with a Creative Expressions die and lightly inked with Distress Ink to tone with the taffeta ribbon.
Tiny tiny purple self-adhesive pearls from Hobbycraft decorated the corner die which was left plain and unglittered.
My final card, a Get Well card for one of my dear elderly mums, was a combination of both the earlier cards. For this card I cut and dry embossed back and front covers but not an additional corner die.
Again the corner die was decorated with the tiny purple half pearls but left unglittered.
My front cover sentiment was again computer generated on to an ornate oval of ivory card cut using the Sizzix Floral Ovals die but this time I added a rosette of ivory lace and a few flowers to one side.The main flower was a left over from the Mother's day cards I'd made earlier this month, plain white but dyed using Distress Inks and spritzed very lightly with Biscotti Glimmer Mist.The three rose buds were left their natural cream to tie in with the card colour but again very lightly spritzed with the Glimmer Mist.
All that was left to do were the inserts which I glued into each card at the shoulders using ivory pearlised paper to tone with the card itself. I didn't mind seeing the insert through the corner die when the card was closed (see the first image of the anniversary card) but if I had it would have been easier enough to use the corner die to cut the insert too.
Thanks for reading my post and please feel free to leave a comment if you've time.