Hello and hi,
well, it's down to the wire again for me this month but here's my February tag, albeit by the skin of my teeth…….
I copied Tim’s technique on both my top and base tags but initially I had a wee bit of fun deciding on which card to use for either layer. Not having any Ranger watercolour card I had to resort to some watercolour card from my stash. I also tried a pre-cut Size 8 Ranger Manilla tag and the Ranger matt coated specialty stamping card…..
Here are pictures of Tim’s technique on the different types of card:
|Stash watercolour card, Ranger Speciality Matt Coated & pre-cut manilla tag all coloured with Iced Spruce DS and spritzed with water.|
|Tim's technique on the pre-cut size 8 manilla tag.|
|Tim's technique on my stash watercolour cardstock... I tried one without pre-colouring with Iced Spruce DS and spritzed water to see the effect. Very 'smudgy'|
|Finally this is Tim's technique on the Ranger matt coated specialty paper... the coating was too shiny and the water spritzed DI just sat on the top.|
|Here is the base layer of my tag.|
For Tim’s second technique I used Aged Gold embossing powder from a Stampendous Embossing kit that I received as a stocking filler last Christmas. It worked well on the Ranger textured paste which I applied through a splatters stencil for the technique. Although I lifted out the Rangers Typo (THS040) Layering Stencil, I got a bit carried away with the splatters stencil and decided it might be a tad too much to use this one as well…..less is more as they say!
|Here you can see the splattered embossed texture paste on my top tag. I cut this away to show the layered second tag underneath.|
The heart was hand drawn on a piece of newsprint card from a rangers ephemera pack, inked with a mix of Iced Spruce, Weathered Wood, Walnut Stain and Ground Expresso DI to match both layers of the tag, then covered with a generous coat of Rangers Distress Crackle Paint.
|I just love how the heart turned out... Distress Crackle paint is wonderful.|
Once dry, I gently touched it with Treasure Gold and gave the same treatment to the edge of my tag, the black floristry wire wrapped around the heart and the key which was glued to the wire with Glossy Accents.
|You can just catch the glimmer of the Treasure Gold on the Ranger's Crackle paint and |
again on the curled edges of the top tag.
The top layer of the tag was cut away around the heart to reveal the base layer (this was the watercolour card I mentioned earlier. I’d also practiced on this with some of the other embossing powders in the embossing kit so you can probably see the texture peeking though under the heart).
|This is the back of the top layer before being rolled and secured to the base layer with double sided tape.|
I coloured the back of the main tag with Iced Spruce DS and Vintage Photo DI so that it toned in when the cut edges were rolled back revealing the base layer.
I have to own up now to blatant plagiarism (and I hope that igirlzoe believes that plagiarism is the most sincere form of flattery, because when I saw how she had created faux wire on her blog I was blown away…. if you haven’t seen it you just have to take a look. Awesome is not in it!!!!)
Unfortunately the Sizzix thinlet she used isn’t out until April (I’m going to be first in the queue when it does go on sale) so in the meantime I made do with the one I had, touching up the foil covered card with Black Soot and Metallic Bronze DP. I glued this under the heart which I popped up onto dimensional foam pads. Not a patch on igirlzoe’s but I was happy with the effect and I’ll certainly be trying it again when I have the new release Sizzix thinlet in April….thanks Zoe.
My Ranger (cupid’s) arrow was gently brushed with Treasure Gold and Metallic Bronze DP. I used an inner liner and one of the epoxy covers from the Ranger Hearts for the “beyond measure” sentiment that I glued with Glossy Accents to the arrow.
Before backing my tag onto black cardstock I ran a couple of lines of random sticking round the tag. As usual, an image of Tim’s tag of the month was attached to the back of my tag to show where the inspiration for my tag originated and Tim’s February tag icon will be attached to the jump ring that’s threaded through the ribbon at the top of the tag (the Glossy Accents is still drying as I type! Told you I was running close to the wire logging this post.) What also made life easier was that I just happened to have a perfect colour match of seam binding in my stash. So adding the ribbon to my tag was the final and quick touch.
Here are a couple more images of my tag....
|Here is the heart in place with the faux wire underneath. Have to say I adore Ranger Crackle paint.|
|Trying to show a little of the dimension and the 'peel' back revealing the base tag.|
As always, thanks to Tim for the wonderful inspiration this month and also to all of you…… I love looking at your tags and reading your posts on how you’ve interpreted Tim’s tag. It warms my heart.
Thanks for taking time to pop over and read my blog. Happy crafting.